In this walkthrough, we will cover:
- How to back up your memory card
- How to configure your Backup Settings
- File compatibility
How to Back Up Your Memory Card or External Drive
- Insert an SD card into the GNARBOX or connect a card reader via one of the USB-C ports. The memory card will display in the Browser screen once it’s connected.
- Tap the memory card to view its contents.
- Tap Select.
- Choose the folders and files you wish to copy. If you want to copy all files, select All. Then, tap Copy.
- Select the device you wish to copy your files to. If you have an external hard drive connected, you have the option to transfer files there as well. We’re going to choose GNARBOX SSD for this walkthrough.
- This screen gives you the option to select the main directory, select an existing folder, or create a new folder. For this demo, we're going to create a new folder.
- Give your folder a name and press Done when ready.
- Open the folder you just created.
- Then, select Copy Here.
- Your backup will initiate.
For more information on connecting card readers, check out our walkthrough on using card readers with GNARBOX 2.0 SSD.
How to Configure Your Backup Settings
Within the Safekeep App, you’re able to toggle individual settings depending on your workflow preferences. These settings include MD5 Checksum verifications, Smart Backups, Flatten Folders, and Folder by Extension. To enable or disable these settings:
- From the Browser screen, navigate to the Settings page.
- Scroll down to view Backup Settings.
For a detailed understanding of what each setting does, check out our walkthrough on How to Configure Backup Settings in Safekeep.
File Compatibility List
The GNARBOX is capable of backing up and transferring any file type. If a file type is unsupported, this simply means you are unable to preview, playback, or edit the file. However, you are still able to backup, transfer, and organize that file within the Safekeep App.
Supported file types can be backed up, transferred, organized, previewed or played back, and edited within the GNARBOX apps.
For a list of compatible file types, view our File Compatibility List.
Can I use my phone while a transfer is taking place?
While transferring files from your memory card to GNARBOX or external hard drive, you can pretty much do anything! You can navigate out of the app, close the screen of your phone, or even disconnect from the GNARBOX. Since the transfer is taking place between the GNARBOX and the memory card, your phone isn't necessary, except to track the progress of the transfer. The only time you should not navigate away from the app or close the screen of your phone is if you are transferring files from your GNARBOX to your phone.
Need assistance? We’re here for you! Browse our walkthroughs for full tutorials and troubleshooting tips. If you’d like one-on-one assistance, you can always email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or use our live chat in the bottom right!
Live Chat Hours:
Mon-Fri: 10AM–5PM PST
Sat–Sun: 9AM–4PM PST