In this tutorial, we will cover:
- System Requirements
- Introduction to Editing with LumaFusion
- Transcoding Best Practices
- GNARBOX x LumaFusion Integration Workflow Walkthrough
- Important Notes
In order to use these integrations, you will need:
- An iOS device
Introduction to Editing with LumaFusion
LumaFusion is an industry leading mobile editing app available in the iOS app store for a one-time purchase of $29.99USD. We consider LumaFusion the best mobile video editor in the game and are excited to be integrated with them. If you are serious about editing on the go, this is the app for you!
If you're not familiar with the incredible power that LumaFusion can add to your mobile video editing workflow or you're looking to learn more about how to use LumaFusion, we recommend checking out this resource that we greatly enjoyed:
Transcoding Best Practices
We highly recommend generating previews of your video files on your GNARBOX prior to importing them into LumaFusion. This helps save time and makes the files immediately available for playback in LumaFusion. If using GNARBOX 2.0 SSD, check out our walkthrough here on how to generate previews.
If you are using Pro Res files or files that may be unsupported in LumaFusion, you can transcode your video files to 720p on GNARBOX 2.0 SSD.
GNARBOX 2.0 SSD Transcode Workflow:
- Once your files have been transferred to your GNARBOX, open the GNARBOX App and navigate to your files. Tap Select and choose the files you wish to transcode.
- A menu will pop up at the bottom of the screen. Tap the Quick-Action icon ().
- From the new pop up menu, select Transcode Videos.
- You will be prompted to choose an output destination for your transcoded files. Tap Output Here once you've chosen your destination.
- Once your destination has been selected, choose the output type you desire. ProRes is not compatible on iOS and LumaFusion, so you'll want to select 720p Proxy files.
- A confirmation window will pop up. Select Proceed to continue.
- The Task Manager will process your request.
- Transcoded files will be available once completed.
GNARBOX 1.0 Transcode Workflow:
- Plug in your memory card and copy files over to GNARBOX.
- The GNARBOX will begin to preprocess the footage. As a general guideline, wait about 1 minute for every 1 minute of video shot.
- When the process has finished, check your video files to make sure the green timeline bar below your video preview has fully loaded.
- Once this process is complete, go ahead and import your files into LumaFusion. This should bypass any transcode wait time within the LumaFusion app!
LumaFusion Integration Workflow Walkthrough
- Power on your GNARBOX and connect to the GNARBOX wifi network. If you're using an iPad Pro 2018 with GNARBOX 2.0 SSD, you may also connect via USB-Ethernet Mode using a USB-C cable for a faster connection. GNARBOX 1.0 users will need to open up the GNARBOX Classic app to finalize connection to the GNARBOX.
- Open the LumaFusion App and launch your timeline project.
- Click the Sources icon.
- Select GNARBOX.
- Navigate through your GNARBOX to find the files you wish to edit. Click on a file to watch playback.
- Select the part of the clip you want to add to your video.
- Drop your clip on the timeline. Continue editing by repeating the last 3 steps.
Need assistance? We’re here for you! Browse our walkthroughs for full tutorials and troubleshooting tips. If you’d like one-on-one assistance, you can always email us at email@example.com or use our live chat in the bottom right!
Live Chat Hours:
Mon-Fri: 10AM–5PM PST