In this walkthrough, we will cover:
- Battery Charging Test
- Battery Draining Test
- Tips to Maximize Battery Usage
- Battery Troubleshooting
Battery Charging Test
* Computer charge speed using a mid-2015 Apple MacBook Pro
Battery Draining Test
Tips to Maximize Battery Usage
- External hard drives pull a great deal of power from the GNARBOX. We recommend only using them during transfer and then promptly ejecting when done.
- If you don't intend on immediately editing your videos, be sure to power the GNARBOX off after video import. This prevents the GNARBOX from spending time (and battery) automatically transcoding the video files.
- Charging other devices off of the GNARBOX (ie: your phone) will drain the battery faster.
- If you're editing on your GNARBOX and you're near a power source, it's totally fine to charge the GNARBOX while editing. Just make sure you unplug it from the power source before doing any file transfers, exports or before plugging in an external hard drive.
- HDDs pull more power from the GNARBOX than SDDs, so using HDDs will drain your battery faster than SDDs.**
** = HDD refers to spinning disk drives, while SDD refers to solid state drives (non-spinning hard drives).
The GNARBOX uses a lithium-ion battery which needs to be charged regularly in order to maintain a charge. If your GNARBOX was just purchased or has not been used in quite some time, we recommend trying the following reset options to bring the battery back to life:
#1 -- 48 Hour Charge
Charge your GNARBOX for a full 48 hours without attempting to power it on.
#2 -- Battery Reset
A battery reset will disconnect and then reconnect the battery.
- Power your GNARBOX on. If your GNARBOX will not power on, proceed to Step Two.
- Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. All LEDs will turn off.
- Keep holding the power button for another 30-45 seconds.
- A turquoise LED will come on, then shut off.
- Reset is complete and you can power on as normal.
If you continue to experience issues with your battery after attempting these resets, please reach out to our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.
Technical Support and Troubleshooting
Need assistance? We’re here for you! Browse our walkthroughs for full tutorials and troubleshooting tips. If you’d like one-on-one assistance, you can always email us at email@example.com or use our live chat in the bottom right!
Live Chat Hours:
Mon-Fri: 10AM–5PM PST
Sat–Sun: 9AM–4PM PST