In this walkthrough, we will cover:
- How to Charge Your GNARBOX
- Using International Adapters
- Battery Life Information
- Hot Swapping
How to Charge Your GNARBOX
- To charge, insert a battery into the GNARBOX. Ensure the battery is inserted feet first until the battery clicks in.
- Then, insert the USB-C to C cable into the USB-C port located on the right side of the GNARBOX near the screen, known as the Dual Role port. The GNARBOX will only charge using the Dual Role port.
- Connect the other end of the USB-C to C cable to the 35W Power Adapter.
- When the GNARBOX 2.0 SSD is charging, the LED will illuminate red while power is connected.
Important notes about charging your GNARBOX:
- A battery must be connected to the GNARBOX in order for the GNARBOX to charge. As a best practice, we recommend connecting a battery to the GNARBOX prior to charging.
- A USB-C to USB-C cable must be used to charge the GNARBOX. The GNARBOX will not charge with a USB-A to USB-C cable.
- To charge two batteries simultaneously, you can use the Dual Battery Charger accessory.
- Always use GNARBOX power accessories to charge your GNARBOX.
1hr = 0-80% battery life
2hr = 0-100% battery life
On the Power Adapter, you’ll see USB-A and USB-C ports. The USB-A outputs up to 5V/1A, while the USB-C can output up to 30W using USB PD, meaning you’ll experience faster charging using the USB-C port. You can utilize the USB-A port on the power adapter for charging an additional device simultaneously, such as a phone or tablet.
Using International Power Adapters
There are 3 international power adapters included in the GNARBOX packaging:
- Type I = commonly used in Australia and New Zealand
- Type G = commonly used in the UK, Ireland, Cyprus, Singapore, and Hong Kong
- Type C = commonly used in Europe
To connect an international power adapter simply slide it over the US power plug as displayed in the diagram above. The adapter head will click into place. To remove the adapter head, simply pull it off.
A voltage converter is not needed when traveling with your GNARBOX.
Battery Life Information
You can get 3-6 hours of use from a single fully charged battery on the GNARBOX 2.0 SSD, depending on your activities.
High power use activities include:
- Transcoding Proxies
- Transcoding ProRes
- Connected devices that require significant power (ie: spinning disk external hard drives)
A useful feature of the GNARBOX 2.0 SSD is the ability to hot swap batteries. Hot swapping means you can remove the battery and connect a new battery without needing to power the GNARBOX down. This allows you to perform continuous backups over a long period of time or easily swap your battery out without interrupting your workflow.
To learn more information about hot-swapping, check out our walkthrough here.
Can I use a USB-A to USB-C cable to charge my GNARBOX 2.0 SSD?
USB-A cables do not provide an ample supply of power to charge the GNARBOX 2.0 SSD, so you can only use a USB-C to USB-C cable to charge your GNARBOX.
Need assistance? We’re here for you! Browse our walkthroughs for full tutorials and troubleshooting tips. If you’d like one-on-one assistance, you can always email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or use our live chat in the bottom right!
Live Chat Hours:
Mon-Fri: 10AM–5PM PST
Sat–Sun: 9AM–4PM PST