Firmware and OS updates are an integral part of improving your GNARBOX experience, both in terms of stability and feature set.
- A pop-up in the app will indicate when an update is available. If you have not already backed up your data, please do so now. When you are ready, tap Proceed to Firmware Update.
- You’ll be taken to the Updates screen. This screen will give you detailed release notes regarding your current version as well as the new release. Tap the green Install Update button.
- You will be given a list of requirements in order to proceed with the update. If all three checkmarks are green, tap Begin Update.
- A pop-up alert will remind you to back up your files prior to moving forward with the update. We strongly encourage you to perform a backup before installing any software updates. Press Update Now to continue with the update process.
- GNARBOX will initiate the download - you can view the progress bar as it downloads.
- Once the download finishes, GNARBOX will begin the installation process. You'll notice that the LEDs on the GNARBOX will start to flash different colors.
- Once the update is complete, the prompt on the screen will let you know the update has installed. Tap Ok to be taken back to the Home screen.
Note: It is highly recommended to back up the contents of your GNARBOX prior to performing a firmware update.
Frequently Asked Questions
My wifi network does not have a password, but the update requires me to enter a wifi password.
A WiFi update cannot be performed if the network is behind an authentication page or if the WiFi network has no password.
The GNARBOX is saying it is “Unable to Establish Internet Connection” to my home wifi network.
If you are having WiFi connection issues with an update, please first make sure that you are in the same room as your router and within 10 feet of it.
My wifi network has a symbol in it.
If your wifi SSID has a symbol in it, the GNARBOX will likely be unable to connect to it. In this event you’ll need to manually update your box using Method #1 in the Troubleshooting below.
Troubleshooting a Failed Firmware Update
Firmware updates can occasionally get stuck in certain states. It is imperative to backup your data prior to performing an update for this reason.
The following are error states we’ve seen during a failed firmware update:
- Endless Rainbow Lights
- Two Blinking Red Lights
- Stuck on Download Screen
- Stuck on Install Screen
- Wifi disconnecting after updating
- GNARBOX will not power down with 3-second hold
If you experience any of these issues, please try the troubleshooting methods below:
Method #1: Manual Update
If you continue to experience failed firmware updates you may need to manually install the latest update. Please follow the instructions below in order to complete a manual update:
For this you'll need a USB thumb drive with a capacity between 8GB and 100GB.
- Download this file.
- Place downloaded file onto a FAT32 formatted & empty thumb drive. Don't unzip the file.
- With the GNARBOX powered OFF, insert the thumb drive into the black USB port on the GNARBOX.
- Power the GNARBOX on - you should see some blinking lights on the box and the top light will go solid green once the installation is complete.
You should now be up to date!
Method #2: Hard Reset
If your GNARBOX shows signs of hesitation with powering down or powering on, you can try performing a hard battery reset.
A hard reset is sometimes needed when other troubleshooting options haven't helped solve the issue with your GNARBOX. Note that a hard set will NOT erase data on your GNARBOX. A hard reset will simply disconnect and then reconnect the battery. It will never harm any of the files on your GNARBOX or otherwise reset the operating system or software. If you would like to perform a full factory reset of your GNARBOX, please contact support via our live chat or at firstname.lastname@example.org!
- Power your GNARBOX on. If your GNARBOX will not power on, plug it in to charge for a few hours or proceed to Step Two.
- Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. All LEDs will turn off.
- Keep holding the power button for another 30-45 seconds
- A turquoise LED will come on, then shut off
- Reset is complete and you can power on as normal
If your failed update persist, please contact us for additional help!
Need assistance? We’re here for you! Browse our walkthroughs for full tutorials and troubleshooting tips. If you’d like one-on-one assistance, you can always email us at email@example.com or use our live chat in the bottom right!
Live Chat Hours:
Mon-Fri: 10AM–5PM PST