In this walkthrough, we will cover:
- System Requirements
- Connecting GNARBOX to Your Computer
macOS 10.11 or later
Windows 7 or later
For optimal performance, we recommend keeping your operating systems up-to-date with the latest operating system available. Older operating systems may experience suboptimal performance with the GNARBOX.
Note: If your computer features USB-C ports, simply use a USB-C to USB 3.0 dongle to plug your GNARBOX into your computer! Some USB-C dongles do not supply enough power to connect the GNARBOX. If you get an error message, we recommend trying a different USB-C dongle such as this one.
Connecting GNARBOX to Your Computer
- Connect to your GNARBOX wifi and open the GNARBOX app as you normally would.
- On the Home screen, tap the Settings button in the upper right.
- Select USB3 Mode.
- Tap Mass Storage.
- Back out to the home screen to confirm your GNARBOX is in Mass Storage Mode.
- Connect your GNARBOX to your computer using the USB3 cable provided in the packaging. The USBmicroB side plugs into your GNARBOX while the USB-A side plugs into your computer.
- Your GNARBOX will appear as a mounted device on your computer. Navigate the GNARBOX as you traditionally would with an external hard drive connected to your computer.
You can drag and drop files from any of the folders on your GNARBOX to copy them onto your computer, as well as copy files to your GNARBOX by dragging them into one of the folders there.
To disconnect, simply eject the GNARBOX drive, and make sure to switch your GNARBOX back into Normal USB3 mode using the GNARBOX app.
Please note that you will not be able to use the GNARBOX app to access or edit files while it is in Mass Storage Mode.
If your GNARBOX is not appearing as a mounted device on your computer, try the following troubleshooting methods:
- First, make sure that the GNARBOX is switched into Mass Storage Mode before you plug it into your computer. It may be necessary to unplug, switch back to Normal Mode, then back to Mass Storage, and then plug in again.
- If your GNARBOX still isn't showing up, please reboot both your computer and your GNARBOX.
- Try a different cable - most USB3 hard drives utilize the same cable as the GNARBOX, so it's worth testing out a different one!
- If you're using a USB-C dongle and are having issues, try swapping the dongle for a different one.
- Try plugging your GNARBOX into a different USB port on your computer.
- If you have any Bluetooth devices connected to your computer (ie: keyboard or mouse), make sure to disconnect them as the Bluetooth signal can affect wifi devices on a computer.
- Some older operating systems (such as Windows 8) have difficulty reading newer wifi devices when connecting via USB. If you have an older operating system and are experiencing frequent issues, we recommend upgrading to a newer system if possible. Our developers are still investigating what may be causing this issue.
- Custom built computers are also known to have technical difficulties when connecting the GNARBOX. For this reason, we do not recommend using your GNARBOX with a custom built computer.
Need assistance? We’re here for you! Browse our walkthroughs for full tutorials and troubleshooting tips. If you’d like one-on-one assistance, you can always email us at email@example.com or use our live chat in the bottom right!
Live Chat Hours:
Mon-Fri: 10AM–5PM PST
Sat–Sun: 9AM–4PM PST