Once you return home, you can easily offload the data from your GNARBOX into an active desktop storage solution. Here's how to connect your GNARBOX to your computer:
- Using the on-board screen and buttons, press the Down button to access the Settings menu.
- Toggle to the Settings menu and press the Right button.
- Toggle to Dual Role USB and press the Right button.
- Toggle to Mass Storage and press the Right button to enter Mass Storage Mode. You may be asked to cancel any active tasks before continuing.
- The GNARBOX will switch into Mass Storage Mode. This could take up to 30 seconds.
- Once the mode switching is complete, the on-board screen will display USB Mass Storage.
- Insert the USB-C cable provided in the packaging into the USB-C port to the right of the screen.
- Connect the other end of the cable to your computer. If your computer does not have a USB-C port, you can use a USB-C to USB-A cable or adapter.
- Once the GNARBOX is connected to your computer, it will appear as a connected external drive.
From here, you can back up files from the GNARBOX as you normally would from an external hard drive.
To switch out of Mass Storage Mode, use the on-board screen and buttons to toggle the GNARBOX back into Default mode.
Please note the GNARBOX will only charge in Mass Storage Mode if it is connected to a USB-C port on your computer.
My computer is running Windows 10 and I'm experiencing very slow performance. What can I do?
You may need to switch your computer's control settings to the "Better performance" option instead of "Quick removal". For a detailed walkthrough, check out this article on Microsoft's website.
My GNARBOX does not mount on my computer.
Please try the following:
Ensure you are connecting the GNARBOX to your computer using the USB-C port to the right of the GNARBOX screen.
Switch GNARBOX into Mass Storage Mode first, then connect the GNARBOX to your computer.
Reboot the GNARBOX and your computer.
Ensure you are using the GNARBOX USB-C to C cable provided in the packaging. If your computer does not have USB-C ports, we recommend using a USB-C to USB-A adapter .
- Ensure your GNARBOX (App, OS, Software, and Firmware) are fully up-to-date. Please see our list here for the latest version numbers.
If your GNARBOX still does not mount, please contact our customer support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
My GNARBOX is not charging when connected to my computer.
The GNARBOX will only charge when directly connected to a USB-C port on your computer. The GNARBOX will not charge if connected to USB-A, or if a dongle or hub is used. This is because the GNARBOX specifically requires Power Delivery to charge.
I do not want my GNARBOX to draw power from my computer when connected in Mass Storage Mode.
To turn charging OFF in Mass Storage Mode, please use the on-board screen and buttons of the GNARBOX to do the following:
- Toggle down to enter the Settings menu.
- Once in the Settings menu, toggle down to Power Management.
- Toggle USB-C Charging to the OFF position.
Need assistance? We’re here for you! Browse our walkthroughs for full tutorials and troubleshooting tips. If you’d like one-on-one assistance, you can always email us at email@example.com or use our live chat in the bottom right!
Live Chat Hours:
Mon-Fri: 10AM–5PM PST