In this walkthrough, we will cover:
- What is the default WiFi password?
- Why does my GNARBOX WiFi say ‘No Internet Connection’?
- Is my GNARBOX overheating?
- How do I connect my GNARBOX to my computer?
- I plugged my camera into my GNARBOX, why isn't it showing up in Devices?
- What do I do if my GNARBOX isn't powering off after I hold down the power button for 3 seconds?
- What file types are not supported?
- Is there a separate iPad or tablet app?
- How do I view my app in landscape mode?
- I deleted files from my GNARBOX, but they are still showing up. How do I get rid of them?
- How do I delete files from a memory card or external hard drive?
- Can I format my GNARBOX?
What is the default WiFi password?
The default WiFi password for the GNARBOX 1.0 is 'gnarbox!'. Be sure to include the exclamation point.
Why does my GNARBOX 1.0 WiFi say ‘No Internet Connection’?
This is totally normal! The wifi that the GNARBOX creates won't connect you to the Internet. The wifi pairs the GNARBOX with your phone, similar to the way you would pair your phone with a Bluetooth device.
Is my GNARBOX 1.0 overheating?
The GNARBOX can get pretty warm when it's working hard, but don't worry, that's just the passive heat sink doing its job. The GNARBOX will shut down if it begins overheating, but this will only happen if functioning in extremely hot environments in direct sunlight.
How do I connect my GNARBOX 1.0 to my computer?
For a full tutorial including troubleshooting information, check out our walkthrough here!
I plugged my camera into my GNARBOX 1.0, why isn’t it showing up in Devices?
At this time, the GNARBOX does not support direct connection from a camera. The reasoning for this is:
- Each camera company's implementation of Mass Storage mode (which is what allows you to see your files when your camera is plugged into your computer) varies drastically, which makes it very difficult to develop support within the GNARBOX for each camera without us developing a software solution for each individual model.
- The USB2.0 connection your camera uses is slower than SD card slot connection built into the GNARBOX
- Having your camera plugged into your GNARBOX will drain the GNARBOX power unnecessarily
- Camera companies encourage users to use card readers and not plug their camera in for file transferring because it ages your camera by making it work harder than it should. It's better for you camera to take the card out for file importing!
To back up your data, simply remove the memory card from your camera and connect it to the GNARBOX. If you have an SD or microSD card, insert the memory card directly into the onboard slots. If you have a CF, XQD, or CFast card, we recommend using a USB3.0 card reader and plugging it into the USB3.0 port on the GNARBOX.
What do I do if my GNARBOX 1.0 isn't powering off after I hold down the power button for 3 seconds?
Hold down the power button for 10 seconds and it should go off! If you need additional help, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What file types are not supported?
For video support, the following file formats are currently unsupported for playback/editing:
- AVCHD, XAVC
- Canon MP4JPG MOVs
- 360 video files
- H.265 iPhone Video Recordings
- GH-5 10-bit (note that other bitrates such as 8-bit are supported)
- Mavic 2 Pro H.265 10-bit (note that other bitrates such as 8-bit are supported)
Despite the fact that ProRes files are often packaged in an .MP4 wrapper, the files contained within are not compatible with the GNARBOX’s video transcoder.
XAVC users should also note that XAVC-S is supported, but any AVCHD and XAVC files are not.
* For iPhone h.265 users, you are able to go into the Video Recording settings on your iPhone and change your settings to record in h.264 so that your video is compatible with the GNARBOX. We are working on an update that will allow compatibility for iPhone h.265 in the future.
You are able to back these file types up and move them around within the GNARBOX ecosystem, but playback and editing are currently not supported for these file types.
Is there a separate iPad or tablet app?
GNARBOX does not currently have an app optimized for tablets, but the current app is compatible with all iOS and Android tablets!
How do I view my app in landscape mode?
Landscape mode will be available for tablets once we bring our 2.0 software to GNARBOX 1.0 hardware.
I deleted files from my GNARBOX 1.0, but they are still showing up. How do I get rid of them?
This can occur if:
- The trash can on your computer was not emptied after deleting files on your GNARBOX via Mass Storage Mode.
- Your GNARBOX is filled near storage capacity.
- Confusion somewhere in the database.
Our team refers to these files as "ghost files". They're there, yet they aren't there! There are two ways to get rid of them:
Clear the Cache:
- Connect to your GNARBOX as you normally would.
- Open the GNARBOX app and navigate to the Settings page.
- Scroll to the bottom of the Settings page and select Clear Cache.
- Select Clear All.
Clear the Database:
Please contact us at email@example.com for further assistance to clear your database!
How do I delete files from a memory card or external hard drive?
Our developers originally programmed the app so that you're unable to delete files from external devices as a safety feature. However, we've received a lot of requests from users that they'd like to be able to delete files from external devices so our developers are working hard to add this feature in the future.
You are currently only able to delete files that are stored directly on your GNARBOX. Once we bring our 2.0 software to GNARBOX 1.0 hardware, you will have the ability to delete files on external drives and memory cards.
Can I format my GNARBOX 1.0?
While the GNARBOX does connect to your computer in the same way an external hard drive does, it's important to make sure you do not format your GNARBOX. The GNARBOX is, in essence, a small computer, so formatting the GNARBOX erases pertinent information that allows the box to function.
If you need to erase all of the content on your GNARBOX, you can do so using two methods:
Method #1 -- In-App:
- Power up your GNARBOX and connect to the MyGNARBOX wifi as you normally would.
- Open up the GNARBOX app and navigate to your files (thumbnails or folders).
- Press the Select button in the top right.
- Tap the Select All option in the top right.
- Press the Delete icon in the lower right.
- GNARBOX will ask if you are sure you want to delete your files. Select OK.
- GNARBOX will notify you when the deletion has been successful.
Method #2 -- Via Computer:
- Power up your GNARBOX and connect as you normally would.
- Open up the GNARBOX app and navigate to the Settings page.
- Select USB3 Mode.
- Tap Mass Storage.
- Back out to the home page and GNARBOX will notify you when it has successfully switched into Mass Storage Mode.
- Connect your GNARBOX to your computer via USB microB cable provided in the box.
- When your GNARBOX has been connected to your computer, view the contents of the GNARBOX as you would with an external hard drive.
- Select all the contents of your GNARBOX and move it to your computer trash.
- Once the contents have been moved to your computer trash, empty your computer trash before ejecting your GNARBOX.
If you do accidentally format your GNARBOX or wish to do a full factory reset, you'll need a little bit of GNARBOX First Aid. Contact our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org or via our Live Chat bubble (bottom right) for assistance with a factory reset!
Need assistance? We’re here for you! Browse our walkthroughs for full tutorials and troubleshooting tips. If you’d like one-on-one assistance, you can always email us at email@example.com or use our live chat in the bottom right!
Live Chat Hours:
Mon-Fri: 10AM–5PM PST