Backup Presets provide you with a shortcut to completely customize your folder structure on import. This allows for your files to be immediately organized without creating redundant folder structures on each data import. Backup Presets are available for use with the on-board backup system.
To learn more about how to create and manage Backup Presets, check out our walkthrough here.
To utilize existing Backup Presets and backup using the on-board screen and buttons, follow these steps:
- Insert your memory card.
- Once your memory card is connected, the on-board screen will prompt you with backup options.
- Toggle down to Advanced and press the Right button.
- Choose the destination for your backup and press the Right button to continue. If an external drive is connected you have the option of backing up to your GNARBOX or USB device.
- Toggle to your desired Backup Preset. Any Backup Presets that have been set up and enabled in the GNARBOX App will appear here. Press the Right button to initiate the transfer.
- The screen will indicate that a backup is in progress.
- Once the transfer is complete, you’ll be prompted with a series of options to move forward with.
For more information on connecting card readers, check out our walkthrough on using card readers with GNARBOX 2.0 SSD.
Utilize the GNARBOX App to create and manage Backup Presets. Check out our walkthrough on how to create and edit Backup Presets.
If your Backup Preset includes uploading to the Cloud (Frame.io or Dropbox), please ensure your GNARBOX is connected to the Internet. If a Cloud Upload Backup Preset is utilized while the GNARBOX is in Field Mode, the GNARBOX will continue to retry the upload until the GNARBOX is connected to a network in Home Mode. For instructions on connecting to the Internet, please check out our Frame.io and Dropbox walkthroughs.
To transfer files from a memory card to multiple destinations, check out our walkthrough on Multi-Destination Copy via the on-board backup system here.
How to Cancel an Active Task
To cancel an active task via the on-board screen and buttons:
- Hold the left button for ~2 seconds.
- A cancellation prompt will appear. Toggle down and select Yes to cancel the task.
A confirmation screen will display once the task has been canceled.
File Compatibility Information
When it comes to file support, any file type can be backed up and moved around within the GNARBOX 2.0 SSD ecosystem. If a file is unsupported, that means you’re unable to preview, edit, or playback the file, but you can still back the file up.
For a full updated list of supported file types, you can view our File Compatibility List.
Can I use my phone while a transfer is taking place?
While transferring files from your memory card to GNARBOX or external hard drive, you can do pretty much anything! You can navigate out of the app, close the screen of your phone, or even disconnect from the GNARBOX. Since the transfer is taking place between the GNARBOX and a memory card, your phone isn't necessary except to track the progress of the transfer. The only time you are not able to navigate away from the app or close the screen of your phone is if you are transferring files from your GNARBOX to your phone.
Need assistance? We’re here for you! Browse our walkthroughs for full tutorials and troubleshooting tips. If you’d like one-on-one assistance, you can always email us at email@example.com or use our live chat in the bottom right!
Live Chat Hours:
Mon-Fri: 10AM–5PM PST