To back up a memory card to an external drive using the On-Board Backup system, follow these steps:
- Connect your external drive to the GNARBOX.
- Insert your memory card.
- Backup options are immediately prompted when a memory card is connected. You can also press the right button to initiate the backup prompt from the home screen.
- Toggle down to Advanced and press the Right button.
- Choose your connected hard drive as the destination for your backup and press the Right button to continue.
- Toggle to your desired Folder Preset or select the Default. "To /" provides the option to back up to the root directory of the destination. Press the Right button to initiate the transfer.
- The screen will indicate that a backup is in progress.
- Once the transfer is complete, you’ll be prompted with a series of options to move forward with.
For more information on connecting card readers, check out our walkthrough on using card readers with GNARBOX 2.0 SSD.
Utilize the Safekeep app to create and manage Folder Presets. Check out our walkthrough on how to create and edit Folder Presets.
How to Cancel an Active Task
To cancel an active task via the on-board screen and buttons:
- Hold the left button for ~2 seconds.
- A cancellation prompt will appear. Toggle down and select Yes to cancel the task.
A confirmation screen will display once the task has been canceled.
File Compatibility Information
When it comes to file support, any file type can be backed up and moved around within the GNARBOX 2.0 SSD ecosystem. If a file is unsupported, that means you’re unable to preview, edit, or playback the file, but you can still back the file up.
For a full updated list of supported file types, you can view our File Compatibility List.
Can I use my phone while a transfer is taking place?
While transferring files from your memory card to GNARBOX or external hard drive, you can do pretty much anything! You can navigate out of the app, close the screen of your phone, or even disconnect from the GNARBOX. Since the transfer is taking place between the GNARBOX and a memory card, your phone isn't necessary except to track the progress of the transfer. The only time you are not able to navigate away from the app or close the screen of your phone is if you are transferring files from your GNARBOX to your phone.
Need assistance? We’re here for you! Browse our walkthroughs for full tutorials and troubleshooting tips. If you’d like one-on-one assistance, you can always email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or use our live chat in the bottom right!
Live Chat Hours:
Mon-Fri: 10AM–5PM PST