In this walkthrough, we will cover:
- Understanding Home Mode and Field Mode
- How to connect in Field Mode
- How to connect in Home Mode
- Using the WiFi Off mode
- Additional Methods for Internet Connection
- Connecting directly to your Internet router
- Forgetting a known network / Managing Auto-join settings
Understanding Home Mode and Field Mode
The GNARBOX 2.0 SSD has two main modes of connectivity within the Connection Manager: Home Mode and Field Mode. These modes were designed for different environments and it's important to understand which mode may better service your workflow.
Field Mode quickly pairs your mobile device directly to your GNARBOX, allowing you to access any files within the GNARBOX environment.
Home Mode pairs your mobile device to your GNARBOX via an Internet connection, which allows for use of Internet features on the GNARBOX. Internet features include software updates and cloud uploads.
Lastly, using the on-board menu system you can select the UP button and toggle to WiFi Off to get to the third mode.
For a detailed understanding of each mode, please check out our informative article here.
How to Connect in Field Mode
Field Mode allows you to quickly connect your mobile device or tablet directly to your GNARBOX 2.0 SSD. Field Mode is best when you're on the go or in a location without local Internet. If you are utilizing a device that does not have a SIM card, Internet connection will be disabled while you are connected to the GNARBOX in Field Mode. To connect in Field Mode:
- Power on your GNARBOX 2.0 SSD.
- Once your GNARBOX is fully powered on, open up the WiFi settings on your mobile device or tablet.
- Select GNARBOX 2.0 SSD from the list of WiFi options.
- Enter the password to connect. The default password is gnarbox! – be sure to include the exclamation point.
- Once the network is connected, a checkmark will appear. Your GNARBOX is now in Field Mode.
How to Connect in Home Mode
Home Mode pairs your mobile device to your GNARBOX via an Internet connection, which allows for use of Internet features on the GNARBOX. Internet features include software updates and Cloud uploads.
If it is your first time connecting the GNARBOX to a specific local network, you will need to manually connect via a series of steps in the GNARBOX App.
Once that network becomes a "known network" (your GNARBOX has been previously connected to that network), you can quickly switch into Home Mode using the on-board screen and buttons.
Instructions for both can be found below.
To connect in Home Mode to a local network for the first time:
- Connect to your GNARBOX wifi and launch the GNARBOX App.
- In the GNARBOX App, navigate to the Settings page.
- Tap Connection Manager.
- Tap Home to switch your GNARBOX to Home mode.
- Next, tap Choose a Network.
- Locate your home WiFi network from the list.
- Enter your WiFi password and press Done when ready. Your home WiFi network may take a moment to connect.
- Once the WiFi connection is complete, the app will notify you to switch your mobile device to your WiFi network.
- Open up your network settings on your mobile device or tablet to connect to your home WiFi network.
- Now, re-open the GNARBOX App.
- Tap Pair GNARBOX.
- Select your GNARBOX from the list to connect.
- Once connected, your GNARBOX is in Home Mode.
Quickly Connecting to a Known Network:
If you have previously connected the GNARBOX to your local network, you can quickly switch your GNARBOX into Home Mode by doing the following:
- Using the GNARBOX screen and buttons, press the up button from the Home screen.
- Toggle down and use the right button to select Home Mode.
- GNARBOX will switch Home Mode to ON.
- Using your mobile device, launch the GNARBOX App. The app will display a yellow "Checking Connection" banner. Navigate to the Settings Page.
- Tap Connection Manager.
- Select Home.
- Tap Pair GNARBOX.
- Select your GNARBOX from the list.
- Your GNARBOX is now connected in Home Mode.
You can also use a 4G MiFi device or a secondary phone as a mobile hotspot using these same instructions.
Using the WiFi Off mode
Following release 2.7.0 GNARBOX included the ability to toggle into the WiFi off mode using the on-board screen and buttons. This setting is accessed by using the UP button and toggling to WiFi off. This mode can be used for users operating under higher security requirements who wish to not display the network while in the field and simply use the GNARBOX without the application until necessary.
NOTE: If you power down your GNARBOX and power back up, it will stay in the mode it was last in, including WiFi Off.
Using a Personal Hotspot + iOS Hotspot Tether Connection
If your iOS cellular data plan supports a Personal Hotspot, you can connect your iOS device to the GNARBOX via USB-C to Lightning. Using this connection with the GNARBOX allows for access to Internet features such as uploading to Frame.io or Dropbox.
This is a fantastic method for connecting to the Internet while in the field where cellular data is abundant, but a local WiFi network is not available.
For this functionality, you must use all of the following:
- iOS 14 or later
- A cellular data plan with Personal Hotspot capabilities
- USB-C to Lightning cable
To connect your GNARBOX to the Internet using a Personal Hotspot:
- On your iOS device, open the Settings App.
- Navigate to Personal Hotspot.
- Toggle Allow Others to Join to ON.
- Connect your iOS device to the GNARBOX using a USB-C to Lightning cable.
- Your iOS device will prompt you to trust this computer. Press Trust.
- Enter the passcode for your iOS device to unlock and trust the GNARBOX.
You may now launch the GNARBOX App and utilize Internet capabilities.
Connecting the GNARBOX directly to your Internet router
GNARBOX supports ethernet connectivity via USB-C, which provides the most direct connection with the fastest upload and download speeds. For full instructions on connecting directly to your Internet router, check out our walkthrough here.
Forgetting WiFi Networks / Manage Auto-join
Following the 2.8.0 release you are now able to forget as well as toggle "auto-join" off/on in the mobile app.
- Go to Settings in your mobile app.
- Select Known Networks.
- You will be given a list of networks you've previously connected to. You can select a network you wish to edit the settings on.
- Tap Quick Action icon () on the network, and Select Forget Network to forget a network.
- Tap Forget to Confirm Forget Network
- Toggle Auto-Join on/off if you wish to make this the network you do or don't auto-connect to when switching into Home mode. This allows you to set priorities within your list of known networks.
I am connecting to my GNARBOX for the first time. Why am I unable to connect in Home Mode?
If it is your first time connecting to your GNARBOX, you must connect in Field Mode first before attempting to connect to the GNARBOX using Home Mode. This is a safety feature designed to require password access before connecting your GNARBOX to a WiFi network.
I am unable to connect in Home Mode and my GNARBOX's WiFi name is not available to connect to.
If this occurs, use the on-board screen and buttons to switch your GNARBOX manually reset the WiFi back into Field Mode:
- Toggle down to the Settings menu.
- Toggle to Mobile Connection.
- Toggle Enable Field Mode to ON.
The GNARBOX will notify you when Field Mode is enabled.
My network does not require a password.
If your WiFi network does not require a password, the GNARBOX will be unable to connect to it. In addition, if your WiFi network has a gated entry point where you are required to accept terms before continuing, the GNARBOX will be unable to connect to that network.
My GNARBOX SSID is not showing up in my devices WiFi access points.
If you are not seeing your GNARBOX 2.0 SSD in your list of WiFi networks, check which WiFi mode you are in; HOME and WiFi Off modes will not have your GNARBOX's network available to access.
My GNARBOX is updating very slow and/or I'm experiencing failed updates.
Try the following:
- Ensure you are close to your WiFi router.
- Restart the GNARBOX by removing the battery fully for 30 seconds and quit the app. Then, reinsert the battery into the GNARBOX, power on, and attempt the update again.
- If the issue persists, try the update on a different network – either at your current location, an office, or a friends' house.
- If the issue continues, try updating using a USB-C to Ethernet adapter. We recommend this one.
Need assistance? We’re here for you! Browse our walkthroughs for full tutorials and troubleshooting tips. If you’d like one-on-one assistance, you can always email us at email@example.com or use our live chat in the bottom right!
Live Chat Hours:
Mon-Fri: 10AM–5PM PST