In this walkthrough, we will cover:
- Understanding Home Mode and Field Mode
- How to connect in Field Mode
- How to connect in Home Mode
Understanding Home Mode and Field Mode
The GNARBOX 2.0 SSD has two main modes of connectivity within the Connection Manager: Home Mode and Field Mode. These modes were designed for different environments and it's important to understand which mode may better service your workflow.
For a detailed understanding of each mode, please check out our informative article here.
How to Connect in Field Mode
Field Mode allows you to connect your mobile device or tablet directly to your GNARBOX 2.0 SSD. Field Mode is best when you're on the go or in a location without local Internet. If you are utilizing a device that does not have a SIM card, Intercom connection will be disabled while you are connected to the GNARBOX in Field Mode. To connect in Field Mode:
- Power on your GNARBOX 2.0 SSD.
- Once your GNARBOX is fully powered on, open up the WiFi settings on your mobile device or tablet.
- Select GNARBOX 2.0 SSD from the list of WiFi options.
- Enter the password to connect. The default password is gnarbox! – be sure to include the exclamation point.
- Once the network is connected, a check mark will appear. Your GNARBOX is now in Field Mode.
How to Connect in Home Mode
Home Mode connects your GNARBOX 2.0 SSD directly to your local Internet. This allows for Internet features such as Dropbox upload and software updates. To connect in Home Mode:
- Connect to your GNARBOX wifi and launch the Safekeep App.
- In the Safekeep App, navigate to the Settings page.
- Tap Connection Manager.
- Tap Home to switch your GNARBOX to Home mode.
- Next, tap Choose a Network.
- Locate your home WiFi network from the list.
- Enter your WiFi password and press Done when ready. Your home WiFi network may take a moment to connect.
- Once the WiFi connection is complete, the app will notify you to switch your mobile device to your WiFi network.
- Open up your network settings on your mobile device or tablet to connect to your home WiFi network.
- Now, re-open the Safekeep App.
- Tap Pair GNARBOX.
- Select your GNARBOX from the list to connect.
- Once connected, your GNARBOX is in Home Mode.
I am connecting to my GNARBOX for the first time. Why am I unable to connect in Home Mode?
If it is your first time connecting to your GNARBOX, you must connect in Field Mode first before attempting to connect to the GNARBOX using Home Mode. This is a safety feature designed to require password access before connecting your GNARBOX to a WiFi network.
I am unable to connect in Home Mode and my GNARBOX's WiFi name is not available to connect to.
If this occurs, use the on-board screen and buttons to switch your GNARBOX manually reset the WiFi back into Field Mode:
- Toggle down to the Settings menu.
- Toggle to Mobile Connection.
- Toggle Enable Field Mode to ON.
The GNARBOX will notify you when Field Mode is enabled.
My network does not require a password.
If your WiFi network does not require a password, the GNARBOX will be unable to connect to it. In addition, if your WiFi network has a gated entry point where you are required to accept terms before continuing, the GNARBOX will be unable to connect to that network.
My GNARBOX is updating very slow and/or I'm experiencing failed updates.
Try the following:
- Ensure you are close to your WiFi router.
- Restart the GNARBOX by removing the battery fully for 30 seconds and quit the app. Then, reinsert the battery into the GNARBOX, power on, and attempt the update again.
- If the issue persists, try the update on a different network – either at your current location, an office, or a friends' house.
- If the issue continues, try updating using a USB-C to Ethernet adapter. We recommend this one.
Need assistance? We’re here for you! Browse our walkthroughs for full tutorials and troubleshooting tips. If you’d like one-on-one assistance, you can always email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or use our live chat in the bottom right!
Live Chat Hours:
Mon-Fri: 10AM–5PM PST